Friday, September 14, 2007

Painful (Paternity) Hours

Have read in some of the parenting sites that the delivery process of a baby is not only painful for the mother as it is also traumatic for the baby, but nowhere the pain of the father is mentioned during delivery ;-). Sounds a bit odd and really funny, but it is really painful as I am one among the father who has experienced the pain.

My better half’s pregnancy period was pretty cool and everything was normal right from the beginning. The baby weight was normal, baby growth was normal, AFI (Amniotic Fluid Index) was normal and ever her eating habits were normal. We were really happy and was very curious expecting out little one to touch the world as the EDD (Expected Date of Delivery) was First week of July.

Since June month is always dear (lucky) to us (as my B’day falls in June as well as or wedding day too falls in June) we expected out lovely kid would pop up to meet us in late June. Days started creeping, but no signs of pain at all. At last June flew away and we were a bit disappointed. Doctors said EDD is on 4th July and we eagerly waiting till 4th and lost our patience. Hope our little beauty don’t wanted to come out of her mothers womb. Loosing all our patience we went to consult out gynecologist by 5th July. To our surprise she asked us to get a 4D Ultrasound Scan to check for the babies’ position and also advised us to get admitted the day after. Going thru some magazines and having the discussion with most of the people I had an impression in my mind that all doctors will convert normal delivery to C-Section in order to make a few more perks. So bounced back on the gynecologist and asked her for a normal delivery expressing all the impression I had in my mind (I was even a bit harsh while speaking to her).

Got shocked to see the SCAN report, AFI is below 3 and the case of normal delivery is very low. Later proceed directly to the hospital not saying a single word to my wife. Immediately rang up our gynecologist and conveyed the report over phone and she asked us to get admitted immediately. It was around 2:00 PM and due to some auspicious timings and stuff like that our parents insisted to get admitted only by 3:00 PM. By three they took my wife to the maternity ward in order to induce the pain. I was really restless and was roaming around the maternity ward the real pain started in my heart wherein no symptoms of pain were seen with my wife even after inducing it. To my wonder and shock, my wife came out of the maternity ward by walking of her own. Later came to know that even after inducing the pain she never felt any so they asked her to wait in out room. Clock was ticking and they were continuously monitoring the wife. Our parents were busy speaking to other relative over phone and chanting slokas. I was the only person around my wife when the chief doctor came and examined her. I was asked to stand out for a while where I heard my wife screaming and shouting against the doctor and in turn doctor’s shouted at her asking for her co-opertation. By around 5:00 PM they decided to take her to the Operation Theater.

I was restless and roaming around the OT area expecting some news from the medical crew, but got some scolding from the ward boys and scavengers blocking their way. I forget about anything around me and was literally coming around the OT like a lunatic. I was not in a position to cry since all people were around and donno what to do. Thought tears shredded out of my eyes I was controlling my self to keep myself cool. But my mom noticed it and she consoled me. I can’t even sit idle and chant something because I don’t even know those things.

By around 7:00 PM the doctor came out of the Operation Theater and said to me that as expected the fetal’s heard beat is getting down and she is planning to take by C-Section, I had no other words other than “Please Proceed”. They immediately took my signature in a form (DON’T EVEN THOUGHT OF READING IT) and by around 7:27 PM we heard a sweet voice out our infant. By 7:30 PM the pediatrist came out with something in his hand. Oh that was my BABY . Every one was eager to know the gender of my baby, but my question was how is she? Please take care of her. Pediatrist said she was being dressed up and will be out of the OT in another 10 – 15 mins and he asked me to look at the baby. What a wonderful experience it… I don’t find words to express my feelings I had that time. I was really flying high and high. Few minutes later our gynecologist came out with my baby in her hand and handed her over to me asked to wait in the room as my wife was about to get shifted to the room from the OT. I took my little angel with me in my hands to the room and waited from my real angel (wife). As soon as I saw her I felt like returning back to earth from somewhere else. And the painful moments came to end. But my real angel had more and more pains for the next few weeks, but she also got the pain killer with her all the time – Our little Angel Dharshini (a) Samyuktha.


3 comments:

Sudar said...

Almost got a tear in my eyes when reading this. You are a good father and a great husband. Anni kuduthu vachavanga. :)

Ignacius said...

First on of this sort from a husband...

Really intersted to feel those hours from my heart..

Felt as though this is how every husband feels in those painful hours.You are the one who has talked about it in favour of those good hearts...

MVG :-) said...

Your concern comes across very naturally to the reader. Its heartening to note that men do realize the pain involved in getting the pleasure of being a father.